''Pigs'' in a blanket
Number of servings: 24
Serving size: 1 bite
1 recipe of car«hot»-dog
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) vinegar
- ¾ cup (175 ml) water
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) de salt
- 2 tsp (30 ml) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) soy sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp (4 ml) liquid smoke
1 recipe of pizza dough (1/2of the recipe will be used for the pigs in a blanket)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 1 ¾ cup (425 ml) warm water
- 6 g (1 ½ tsp) traditionnal yeast
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 350 g (3 ½ cups) Wheat starch (0454 or 2203)
- 60 g (1/3 cup) Métamucil (or 30 g whole psyllium husk)
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Baking powder
Prepare the car’’hot’’-dogs
- In a pot, place the whole carrots with water. Once the water is boiling, cook for about 12 minutes. Carrots should be al-dente.
- To stop the cooking, put the carrots in cold water.
- During cooking, mix together the ingredients for the marinade and place it in an airtight container.
- Once cooked, place the cooled carrots in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Prepare the pizza dough
- In a bowl, mix warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Meanwhile, mix together the wheat starch, Metamucil, salt and baking powder.
- When the yeast is activated, add oil to the mix. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Pour the liquid ingredients. Mix well. Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl and let rise for 25-30 minutes with humidity (Heat a cup of water in the microwave oven, it creates the perfect humid place to let the dough rise).
Prepare the pigs in a blanket
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Dry the carrots with a paper towel.
- Roll dough to obtain a rectangle of 35 x 25 cm (17 x 10 inches).
- Place marinated carrot on the dough. Roll to cover the dough (dough should overlap slightly below the carrot).
- Cut into 3 sections and place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the steps to use all the carrots and half the dough recipe.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
Serve with ketchup, mustard or your favorite sauce.
Note: With the other half of dough, take the opportunity to try English muffins! (Find all the instructions in the recipe for English muffins).
The nutritional value includes 1 carrot-dog recipe and ½ a pizza dough recipe.
© Genevieve Lafrance 2023